Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Slave

As suggested in class, I will be completing my term paper on the the correlation between The Bible and The Slave.  What strikes me most about both books is the level of suffering that occurs in each.  There are endless characters in The Bible that suffer for countless reasons.  Likewise, Jacob, in The Slave seemingly suffers throughout the entire book.  I am most interested to note the different levels/types of suffering that plagues Jacob and these different types compare to particular characters in The Bible.  For instance, in The Bible there is the suffering of Job, as well as the suffering of Hannah (Samuel 1).  Both characters suffer in different ways.  Job because he has lost everything and is covered in boils as the result of a bet between God and Satan.  And Hannah because she desires greatly for a child that she cannot conceive.  She suffers regarding the lack of something she never had versus Job who suffers for the lack of what he once had.  I think this can adequately be compared to Jacob and his suffering/hardships throughout the text.  Jacob suffers because he has lost his wife and child and then ultimately suffers before he even has Sarah and is simply longing for her. 

Naturally, a comparison is a bit more complex than what I stated above.  At this time I feel that I can trace the idea of suffering throughout both books as a comparison of The Bible and The Slave.

No comments:

Post a Comment